Monday, June 6, 2016

BEAUTY FROM ASHES - By Heather Homan


Looking back on our past can be daunting. So many mistakes. So many times we messed up.
Then we say the following deadly phrases:
“If only I could turn back the hands of time”
“Why did this happen to me? If only that one thing didn’t happen, my life would be different”
“Life’s not been fair to me. I was dealt a bad hand”
Regret. Shame. And precious moments of time wasted analyzing things we cannot change.
But guess what?
You survived.
You’re here.
Are you still breathing? Then your story isn’t over yet.
Don’t waste another moment looking through the rear view mirror. What’s done is done.
Own your past, but learn from it. Your mistakes don’t define you, and if you humble yourself and learn from them, you won’t make the same mistake twice, Lord willing.
And really learn. Don’t let your mistakes be in vain.
No regrets. No shame.
I know it hurts. The past can be painful.
But let your scars remind you of how far you’ve come.
God has vowed to restore the years the locusts have eaten. (Joel 2:25).
I wasted so many years asking myself “Why did I ever date him?”,“Why did I stay at that job so long?”,“If only that dog never attacked me”, “Why was I so reckless with money in my early 20’s” and on and on.
But now, I’ve made peace with my past. I own it. And I know by being vulnerable and raw, and sharing my experiences, it can perhaps encourage, or serve as a warning to others on what not to do.
Regardless, it’s not my story. It’s God’s.
And while the enemy planned to harm me, God intended it all for good. (Genesis 50:20).
People who have been broken have a sweet depth and resilience about them. They can’t be shaken. They know how to love deeply, because they’ve experienced sorrow.
So here’s to today. Another chance to get it right.
If you’re going through a tough season right now, where your faith is tested, and you’ve lost hope. Keep going.
And when you walk out of the furnace, feeling defeated, scorned, and tired – ahh that’s where the real beauty begins.
Remember, God’s story never ends with ashes.

No comments:

Post a Comment