Monday, May 9, 2016

HAVE SOME PATIENCE - By Meredith Pihl



This bus is going to be here in 5 minutes! LET’S GO!”

The hectic rush of the morning - it’s a chaotic frenzy of a thing. It’s also the time that I can pretty much guarantee that I will lose my cool. My nine year old suddenly “forgets” how to tie her shoes, just as we are about to walk out the door. My seven year old is dancing and singing throughout the house, but she has yet to grab her lunchbox and homework to load in her backpack. As for me? I’m yelling out orders like a drill sergeant. “If you don’t put your shoes on, then screen time is lost!” “Stop putting toys in your backpack!” “Leave the dog alone!”

If one thing can be said about our morning routine: it’s that my patience is tested.

Yet, as Christians, Scripture reveals to us the importance of patience in all areas of our lives.  It’s a fruit of the Holy Spirit found in Galatians 5:22-23, “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.”  How do we bear fruit of the Spirit?  I think it begins with the desire for God to do a number on our hearts.

For a long time, I was one of many who thought, the more good deeds I did, the closer I’ll get to God.  Therefore, I will be that much closer to Heaven - it was as simple as a good deed checklist!  In time, I learned that’s not how it works...not even close.  God knows our true hearts, we can’t “fake it ‘til we make it”, not with Him.  Thankfully, God, who is in love with us, wants us to fall deeply and madly in love with Him.  Our hearts must yearn for His Love, Goodness and Truth.  As we read in 1 John 4:16,

“And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. 
Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.” 

We must want His love to transform our hearts and when we allow Him in, the fruits of the Spirit will begin to be produced.

We must remember, however, that falling in love with God is not what makes us saints.   Each and every one of us is a sinner and we will frequently mess up in our lives.  Thankfully, God is One of forgiveness, and each time we go to Him, bearing our sins, our love and relationship with Him will grow.  That relationship inspires us want to repent, to want Him to change our hearts...and as a result, our hearts and minds will slowly be transformed (Romans 12:2).  This ongoing transformation brings us the fruits of the Spirit - which means our sainthood is rooted in Him - which brings us back to “patience.”

As I struggle with patience with my children and the hecticness of life, I need to keep seeking God for reminders of patience.  Patience is clearly defined in 1 Corinthians 13:4, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.” Patience is a form of love and God IS love...so everything comes back to turning our hearts to Him. On the rough days (and mornings) I need to reach for Him even more, letting Him guide my heart and words.

I also pray that the Lord opens my eyes to examples of patience going on all around me.  The patient grandmother rereading her grandson’s favorite book for the tenth time that visit. The patient shopper who kindly waits and assists the elderly woman in the grocery store checkout line.  The patient man who takes time out of his busy day to listen to his friend’s troubles, even though he has a million other things to do.  When we discover these examples of patience, we can see they all have one thing in common: Love. That same, patient love comes to us from Christ Jesus.

As our faith and trust in Him grows, our hearts and minds will begin to see things differently...and patience will become a fruit.  Like the mom who laughs at her daughter’s morning farewells to the dog, (instead of finding it frustrating that her daughter isn’t on task) - God will guide our own hearts in unexpected ways. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! (2 Corinthians 5:17).” 

We will truly become new!

Maybe all the fruits won’t be revealed at once, but have faith (and patience!) in God’s love to change us.  Little nuggets of joy and love will sneak into our day because we put our hearts in His Hands.  If we keep reaching for His love, God will continue to change us, even throughout the setbacks of life.  Patience doesn’t naturally pour out of me and I need His help.  This is a process and God wants to work on me with His love.

So, the next crazy morning when I’m losing it because no one has jackets on and the bus is rounding the corner - or when chaos is rounding the corner in my life, I know I can bring it to God.  James 1:2-4 reminds us,


“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, 
not lacking anything.”

If we keep seeking His Love and praying for His guidance - God will happy to do a doozy on our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment